Forums Events Restaurants Articles Farms Caterers Subscribe! My Account

North Carolina BBQ Forums Q&A

Got Questions? We've got Answers!
Welcome to North Carolina BBQ Forums QA Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Why are there time gaps in the posts? - The forums were taken offline in ~2013 and were (finally) restored in 2023. Feel free to start a new thread or reply to an existing one.

NC native, new to smoking, hopefully an easy question

Last post 02-07-2012, 8:59 PM by porcophile. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-27-2011, 3:03 PM 393

NC native, new to smoking, hopefully an easy question

I've lived in NC my whole life....over 40 years. Me and my 2 sons have become addicted to smoking food. For their 14th birthday I smoked a 15# shoulder, using a weber bullet. Why is my meat a reddish color rather than the typical light brown color you see at eastern NC restaurants? I smoked at 225-250 using kingsford charcoal with oak wood from the fire wood pile. Kept the water pan full the whole time. Cooked until internal meat temp was 155F then wrapped in foil and allowed to rest for 45 minutes.
  •  01-18-2012, 12:20 PM 399 in reply to 393

Re: NC native, new to smoking, hopefully an easy question

Sounds like you did a good job on your cook. You should end up with a quarter to a half inch red ring around the outside edge when you cut it and brown in the middle. By what you say it turned out good.

•  02-07-2012, 8:59 PM 401 in reply to 399

Re: NC native, new to smoking, hopefully an easy question

Sounds as if what you got was a (pink) smoke ring.  Most eastern places are gassers these days, so their meat doesn't have one -- doesn't have any flavor either, if you ask me.
View as RSS news feed in XML